We are Allowed to Partake of Jesusí Sacrifice
The elements are a symbol of the broken body and blood of the Lord Jesus. It is a celebration of the New Covenant. We are allowed to participate in Jesusí sacrifice.
In 1 Corinthians 10:13-21, Paul gives us a warning of how to be ready for the Lordís Supper.
1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
No Temptation Can Overcome You!
In a culture much like ours today, Paul gives us strong encouragement about temptation:
1. Wrong desires and temptations happen to everyone - youíre not singled out.
For example, Billy Graham is considered to be a giant of the faith today, yet he too struggles with temptation - he is human.
2. Others have resisted temptation - so can you. Joseph, one of the great heroes of the
faith, gives us powerful examples of overcoming temptations - the same kind that you and
3. Any temptation can be resisted - GOD will help you succeed.
GOD helps you resist temptation by helping you:
1. Recognize those people and situations that give you trouble. We all have individual weaknesses - what tempts one person may not tempt another. God will enable you to identify your individual weaknesses.
2. Run from anything you know is wrong. Joseph ran from Potipharís wife when she tried
to entice him.
3. Choose to do what is right. Shadrach, Meshach, & Abednego chose not to worship the false god of Nebuchadnezzar.
4. Pray for GODís help. Daniel prayed to God when he was cast into the den of lions and
God honored his prayer.
5. Seek friends who love GOD and can offer help when you are tempted. All the parts of the body support one another.
1 Corinthians 10:14
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. We should Flee From Idolatry!
The people of Corinth worshipped idols on a major scale. It was a primary way for them to express their religion. There were several heathen temples in the city and they were very popular. The people even worshipped wood statues and they credited the statues with doing what only GOD can do!
They believed these false idols could:
1. Provide the good weather needed for crops.
2. Provide their children.
3. Provide them with money or income.
We can fall into the same trap today. What are some of the false gods we worship?
1. Sports stars 2. Rock stars 3.TV & movie actors/actresses 4.Property 5.Possessions
6.Money 7.Credit cards 8.Power, Pleasure, or Prestige
Trusting anything for what GOD alone provides is idolatry! What do you trust?
Is it GOD alone? It should be!!
1 Corinthians 10:16-21
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar? What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the
Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.
We Are to Partake of Jesusí Sacrifice Symbolically!
The idea of unity and fellowship with GOD through eating a sacrifice was strong in Judaism, Christianity, & Heathenism.
1. In O.T. times, a Jew would eat part of his sacrifice as a means of restoring his unity with
2. Christians participate in Christís sacrifice when we eat the bread and drink the cup symbolizing his body and blood.
As Christians, we MUST give our total allegiance to Jesus Christ.
1. When we partake of the Lordís Supper, we are communing with Christ and identifying
with His death.
2. Eating at the demonís table means identifying with Satan by worshipping or promoting
heathen or evil activities.
3. Which table are you eating at?
4. The Bible says you canít do both!
5. Choose today whom you will serve!!
Remember - we partake of the Lordís sacrifice by the eating the bread & drinking the cup.
1 Corinthians 11:23-26.
For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my
blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you
eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lordís death until he comes.
Below you can use the following links to:
1. Print this lesson