False Teachers & the Lord’s Supper
Names used to describe the Lord’s Supper:
1. Lord’s Supper - because it commemorates the Passover meal Jesus ate with His disciples.
2. Eucharist - because in it we thank GOD for Christ’s work for us.
3. Communion - because through it we commune with GOD & with other believers.
Those who partake of Communion should do so carefully & reverently. In 2 Peter 2:12-14, Peter tells us what happens to false teachers partaking of Communion.
2 Peter 2:12-14
But these, like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction, suffering wrong as the wage for their wrongdoing. They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, while they feast with you. They have eyes full of adultery, insatiable for sin. They entice unsteady souls. They have hearts trained in greed. Accursed children!
Depravity of False Teachers:
False teachers prided themselves on their wisdom & insight.
1. Peter called them “irrational animals.”
2. In the NIV Peter, calls them “brute beasts.”
3. Like animals, they operated on the basis of desires & feelings instead of reason.
4. Peter considered the fate of animals that were hunted.
5. They are born to be captured & destroyed by human beings.
6. They are comparable to animals since the animals are without rationality.
7. They reviled what they did not understand.
8. The false teachers would experience destruction just as animals are eventually captured
9. The fate of hunted animals is a picture of the fate of the wicked.
10.False teachers will be judged for their ungodliness.
11.They will be destroyed.
12.They will reap what they sow.
We can avoid this fate by understanding the true meaning of the Lord’s Supper and being true to Jesus.
2 Peter 2:13
suffering wrong as the wage for their wrongdoing. They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, while they feast with you.
Sensuality Turned to Evil:
They were so fascinated with evil that they couldn’t wait until dark.
1. Ecclesiastes 10:16 says, “Woe to you, O land whose king was a servant and whose princes feast in the morning.”
2. Isaiah 5:11 says, “Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.”
3. They make evil an all day affair to indulge in their pleasures.
4. As members of the church, they were “blots & blemishes.”
5. They stained and defiled the church.
6. We should be “spotless & blameless” before GOD.
7. They caroused & reveled (partied) while they partook of Communion with the church.
8. They were deceitfully pursuing their own pleasures rather than seeking the good of others.
9. They look at every woman as a candidate for adultery.
10. Their eyes never ceased from sin.
11. The pursued sexual sin, material possessions and seduced the unstable with enticements to sin, much like a fisherman entices a fish with an irresistible bait, and once the hook is set it is too late.
We can resist this type of enticement by judging everything by the Word of GOD!
They are Experts in Greed, being self-focused and self-centered.
They devoted their energy to greed and even trained their hearts to turn to greed. Greed became
the desire of their hearts.
1. It became a fully developed life style.
2. They are accursed.
3. They were under GOD’s curse.
Worldly values in the church today bring the same result. We must not conform to the world - rather we MUST do things GOD’s ways and not the world’s ways.
There is NO place for false teachers in the church.
Measure everything against the Word of GOD.
As you eat the bread & drink the juice, you MUST:
? Be a Christian.
? Be true to the Word of GOD.
? Confess all known sins.
? Be respectful.
? Be reverent.
? Be GOD honoring.
? Be quietly reflective as you recall Jesus’ death and His promise to come again.
? Be grateful for GOD’s wonderful gift to us.
? Be joyful you meet with Christ and this body of believers.
Below you can use the following links to:
1. Print this lesson